Activist Social Networks
- Action Options - Activist networking software targetting
peace/justice groups. They have setup several state-wide sites (IL, FL, MI, and MN).
- Activist San Diego Online activist
community for San Diego with a directory of groups, helpful links, an events calendar,
and a forum.
Connexions - directory of Canadian activist groups and more.
- Future 5000 - Their goal is to become an online network/database
of 5000 youth organizations.
- Hudson Valley Activist Network / ActivistResource.org - a list of
groups and events in the Hudson Valley area (NY state), but trying to expand beyond that.
- Idealist.Org - Organizations, jobs, resources,
and volunteer opportunities. Get an activist job when you graduate. Extremely impressive
but it's more useful for non-profit networking (eg getting a job) than for
organizing activist events and campaigns.
- NYC Online Activist portal
- Orion Grassroots Network - includes over
1000 groups, primarily environmental.
- Seattle Activism - Activist events and
information for the Seattle area.
- UK Activist Network -
Directory of UK activist organizations.
Similar or Otherwise Inspirational Projects
- Care2.com - A global network of over 4 million liberals. Focus on environmental issues. Has an impressive friendster-like network that encourages political action.
- Change.orgchange - An open platform with cutting edge tools, Change.org makes it possible for anyone, anywhere to start and win campaigns.
- Crabgrass Riseup's open source activist network - beta.
- Energy Justice Network - powered with a version of the same software
as this site. Beta. Network of grassroots activists opposing power plants. It also has a ton of power plant data.
- Taking It Global - International
- Wiser Earth - planning an international directory of 100,000 social
justice groups and more.
- 13 Myths - Work with other
people over the Internet to produce a flyer. Created a flyer called
"13 Myths about the Case for War in Iraq".
- Advocacy Developer Hub - A network
of people working on online advocacy projects. Most of the information about their projects
can be found on the Wiki Hosts an annual summer conference in San Francisco starting in 2004.
- AMP Software - Download the Activist Mobilization
Platform - open source content management system for activists.
- CivicSpace - A platform for
group software based on DeanSpace -- it is really just a customized version of Drupal with the addition of a friendly community.
- Citizen Speak - is a free email advocacy service for grassroots organizations.
- Civic Contact Relational Management - CiviCRM - A project that has
created a database for nonprofits that uses your browser as an interface. They are going through rapid development. It will
support mass mailing, fundraising, and everything else you'd need.
- History Commons An excellent
site for writing leaflets and other materials by using mainstream news media as sources.
- E-Campaigning Forum - UK based conference and community for
online activism that has been organizing conferences since 2002.
- E-Democracy - Building online communities for political discussion.
- Friendster - Online friend-to-friend
networking for the masses who need "activity partners". Over 20 million people have
user accounts here and it's growing like crazy. How can we be anything but jealous?
- Future Australia - Australian environmental directory of 2000+ links.
- Track Federal Legislation
- Green Media Toolshed - Working to create a public
database of media contacts that would be maintained by volunteers (only in early stages as of March 2005).
- Independent Media Center - Activist news.
- League of Tech Voters - Organization/network of programmers to develop
open source advocacy tools.
- Meetup - Uses the internet to organize
face-to-face meetings for hundreds of thousands of people in different interest
groups. Intensely used by the Dean 2004 campaign.
- Mobile Active - Cell phones and activism
- Move On - Organized against the war on Iraq
and to support the Democratic Party. Has 4 million people on their email list.
- My Space - Friendster imitator. Over 40 million users.
- Going On - open source social network.
- National Priorities Has a database that lists things like
the amount of military expenditures per year in your county.
- Net Centric Campaigns Blog By Greenmedia Toolshed.
- Net Squared A project of TechSoup - a community/network for
advocacy nonprofit web/tech projects. They have a good list of projects.
- New Tactics Has a database of human rights tactics.
- Organizers' Collaborative produces a
free and easy to use Organizer's Database for activist organizations.
- Organizer's Tool Crib - A list of over 100 tools.
- Participatory Culture Foundation - create and distribute your own
- People Aggregator - open source social network. You can also
learn more about the software
- People's Email Network - facilitates grassroots action alerts.
- Prax.ca - offers open source tools such as email actions, newsletters, webpages, and more for groups and communities trying to make change. Canadian.
- Protest.Net - Lists protests and other events.
- rTMark.com - Facilitates innovative activist
projects. Often with a technical bent.
- Source Watch - Collaborative
effort to analyze PR and other agenda-setting rightwing organizations.
- Youth Energy Action - A coalition
of groups working to stop global warming, with a dynamic website similar to that of
Youth Power Shift.
- The Work Site - online community for activists with a focus on the labor movement.
These ideas show promise, but unless you tell me otherwise, I'll keep them listed as inactive.
My Other Websites
- Activist Network - A primarily Canadian list of
groups, events, and more. It predated CampusActivism.org by about a year and was very impressive for its time.
Currently it's being rewritten by a new person.
A project to syndicate online activist directories so they can share
information with each other. Inactive?
- The Matrix - Database of
anti-corporate resources that hasn't been updated for over a year.
- Indy Voter - They have released a
beta of an activist networking project, friendster style. From the League of Pissed Off Voters
which is interested in uniting diverse social movements around electoral activism. The sofware platform is called Flexomatic.
- Melt (Test Site)
- Greenpeace developed a platform for online activism
on global warming. In its early stages it appears that it could be similar to campusactivism.org.
It was used to power CoolThePlanet.net
- Activista A search engine for activists. Not fully developed.
- Democracy Groups - A database of activist
Last updated May 2012